Fuqua sends out “Did You Know?” messages to its staff about the activities of different departments at Fuqua. We are a large institution and especially since CASE does so much of its work outside of the walls of Fuqua, we wanted to share this list of 10 facts about our work in 2015:
- CASE (the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship) serves as Fuqua’s hub for teaching, research and practitioner engagement on social entrepreneurship. Wondering what social entrepreneurship is? Find out here!
- CASE has educated thousands of students through our courses, speaker series, fellowship programs, financial aid programs, and much more. Our students go on to launch, manage, consult with and serve as board members of social impact organizations all over the world – read a few examples here.
- Our alumni are truly changing the world. Listen to a 2003 grad talk about how Fuqua helped him give the gift of sight to 20,000 people last year here!
- CASE connects to Durham – nearly 600 students have served on local nonprofit boards through Fuqua on Board, a program led by CASE and Student Life. Know a local nonprofit with a great Board that could benefit from working us? Let us know: FOB@fuqua.duke.edu
- CASE brought $12.1M to Duke to launch the cross-university Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator at Duke (SEAD). SEAD includes research, student programming, and an accelerator through which we work with global health social entrepreneurs in India and East Africa who are helping tens of millions of people through maternity care, mobile clinics, insurance, and more.
- Our CASE Initiative on Impact Investing (CASE i3) is leading the field. CASE i3 was selected by the White House to track $1.5B in impact investing commitments. Professor Cathy Clark’s book, “The Impact Investor” was #18 on Amazon’s finance textbooks list in 2014. Want to learn more about impact investing? Read this recent Fuqua Q&A.
- We run events around the world that thousands of practitioners have attended. Here at Fuqua, we co-host the annual Sustainable Business & Social Impact (SBSI) conference. Last year our keynote speaker was the US Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez (video). Join us at our next SBSI on February 24, 2016.
- We publish monthly CASE Chats, a video series with business leaders discussing social innovation. Chats have included the CEO of Honest Tea, the research director for Deloitte’s Public Sector Industry practice, and the CEO of City Year. Check them out!
- We’re an award-winning group! CASE has been awarded 2 Ashoka Innovation Awards; a Lifetime Achievement Award for our founder, Greg Dees; our executive director, Erin Worsham, was awarded Triangle Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Leadership Award in 2014; CASE i3 director, Cathy Clark, was named to America’s Top 20 Women Working in Philanthropy, Social Innovation, and Civic Engagement; and, our Net Impact Club was named international Chapter of the Year in 2012!