Dr. Daniel Vermeer is founder and director of Duke University’s Center for Energy, Development, and the Global Environment (EDGE), an initiative that harnesses the power of business to meet the global demand for energy, resources, and improved quality of life.
Dr. Vermeer teaches graduate classes at Duke’s Fuqua School of Business and Nicholas School of the Environment, directs research projects, and consults with leading companies and organizations including Bank of America, ABB, GE, Wal-Mart, Dupont, The Nature Conservancy, UN Global Compact, Claremont Creek Ventures, and other private and public organizations. His areas of expertise include water management, sustainable agriculture, value chains, resource productivity, efficiency, product certification, and low-carbon development.
Dr. Vermeer joined Duke from The Coca-Cola Company, where he led the Global Water Initiative, an industry-leading effort to protect the quality and availability of the company’s primary ingredient. As part of this work, he founded Coca-Cola’s Community Water Partnerships program, resulting in nearly 500 public-private partnerships in over 90 countries, and designed a “gold standard” methodology for identifying risks across Coca-Cola’s global manufacturing facilities. During his tenure at Coca-Cola, he launched the company’s Sustainable Agriculture program to evaluate and manage lifecycle impacts of agricultural supply chain inputs.
Dr. Vermeer plays a leading public role in advocating for business sustainability through speaking, research, and institution-building. He is the founder and chief architect of the Global Water Challenge, a multi-partner organization for innovative water and sanitation initiatives, co-author of the CEO Water Mandate (signed by more
than 50 Fortune 500 companies), and lead contributor to several policy documents issued through the World Economic Forum, World Business Council for Sustainable Development, and the United Nations Foundation. He holds a Masters degree from the University of Virginia and Ph.D. from Northwestern University.
- EDGE Chats interview with Dan Vermeer
- Dan Vermeer discusses business response to climate change
- In conversation about sustainability with FedEx’s Mitch Jackson
- In conversation about environmental risk with PwC’s Nick Shufro
- In conversation about the value of nature with The Nature Conservancy’s Glenn Prickett
- In conversation about energy market trends with industry expert Geoff Styles
- Read EDGE blog articles by Dan Vermeer
- “Crossing the Climate Line,” News & Observer
- Interview in Patagonia’s “The Footprint Chronicles” (see Digging Deeper, Episode 2: What Comes Next?)
- “Untangling the Web of Green Product Credentials”, EcoInnovator blog