HSM Beyond the Classroom: Duke University Hospital Experiential Learning Project

Claudia BarnaThe Duke University Hospital (DUH) Practicum was one of the most invaluable experiences I have had at Fuqua. Firstly, getting to solve a real business problem in a real healthcare setting proved to be challenging but very exciting. The team I worked with at the hospital looked to me for business insights and advice – which was both awesome and humbling at the same time. Additionally, it felt great to be using my business knowledge in a space where there is a great need for these skills.

Secondly, as someone interested in healthcare but with no previous provider or clinical background, the DUH practicum offered me the hands-on learning you can only get from being in the hospital and working in that setting. Shadowing administrators and nurses/doctors alike was one of the most eye-opening experiences I have ever had, from both a professional and a personal perspective.

Last but not least, getting to present my project to the president of one of the top hospitals in the country is not something many twenty-something year old professionals can brag about. Overall, in just five months, this experience allowed me to grow and learn more than I ever thought I would. I very much enjoyed my DUH practicum and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in healthcare.