Introducing CASE Scholar Stephen Seed

Duke’s Fuqua School of Business offers scholarships each year to individuals with social sector backgrounds who are looking to acquire business skills for use in their pursuit of social impact. The CASE Social Sector Scholarship brings in amazing students who add a richness to the Fuqua student body and bring their unique perspectives to the classroom.  We are proud to announce our new CASE Scholars with this week featuring Stephen Seed. You can read about our other scholars here.

CASE Scholar Stephen SeedStephen’s desire to see a more equitable and inclusive society led him to a career in affordable housing and community development in Washington, DC.  Before Fuqua, he supported low- and moderate-income communities by financing affordable housing and advocating for inclusive housing policies. Through his work, he noticed that some nonprofits failed to scale because they neglected to develop and retain their employees and think strategically about their human capital needs. After Fuqua, Stephen plans to increase economic equity in the workforce and society through human capital consulting and advancing diversity and inclusion initiatives.

Why Fuqua?

I chose Fuqua because all of my interactions with the admissions, faculty, students, and alumni were genuine. Throughout the application process, I felt like each person wanted to get to know me personally and actively supported my passions. The MBA Workshop Weekend for Minority Applicants hosted by the Black and Latino MBA Association (BLMBAO) demonstrated the strength and commitment of the Fuqua network and was a large part of my decision-making process.  Ultimately, the opportunities provided through CASE and meeting the former CASE scholars sealed the deal! Because of my background in the social sector, I was excited to get involved with all the Center’s offerings including the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum, which combines real-world consulting experience and supporting nonprofit organizations.

What impact do you hope your future education will allow you to have on the world?

I came to Fuqua to strengthen my strategic thinking and develop a comprehensive business toolbox that will help me accomplish positive social change. I will use my education to consult organizations that are implementing D&I initiatives that reduce implicit bias in business, thus resulting in greater economic equity in the workforce and society. I envision the future of business filled with safe, inclusive spaces where diverse people can collaborate on solutions to the world’s economic, environmental, and social challenges.

Share one of the 25 facts from your application essay

I am a comic book collector and fanboy. My favorite heroes are the X-Men because they choose to defend the world that fears and hates them solely for being born different. The storylines parallel our society and address issues of racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, physical disability and religion.