HCC Leadership Hosts an Engaging Alumni Panel Discussion

It is no secret that Fuqua is regarded as one of the best MBA programs for those interested in health care, and wanting to further my industry knowledge, choosing Fuqua to pursue my MBA was an easy decision. Over the past two years, I’ve been fortunate to have endless opportunities to converse with distinguished faculty who have contributed to shaping health care policies, collaborate with Duke’s other graduate schools to discuss and solve health care’s pressing issues, and form meaningful relationships with leaders from leading health care companies.

In addition to Health Sector Management, many of these opportunities were due in large part to student-run Health Care Club (HCC), whose leadership team I joined during my second year. Along with my fellow second year Co-Chair, we had the autonomy to brainstorm, develop, and organize events, speakers, and lectures that focused on pressing, hot-topic issues of interest to the student body.

Most recently, we welcomed the opportunity to host five Fuqua and Duke alumni to discuss the impact of genomics and emerging data technologies on the evolving health care landscape. While the topic of discussion would have engaged health care students, the event also attracted non-health care students due to the high-profiled panelists, which included:

• Executive Vice President, $28.8B medical device company
  • Executive Director, $21.7B biotech company
  • Chief Executive Officer, San Francisco-based biotech company
  • Chief Medical Officer, Google-funded, 300-person health care “startup”
  • Chief Strategy Officer, largest lab diagnostic company

Even given these individuals’ busy schedules and numerous responsibilities, each panelist engaged the Fuqua community for over six hours to connect with students through a panel discussion and dinner. While this was not unexpected, I have found that every Fuqua alum that I have encountered over the past two years has been excited to help current students in any way possible. The event was a huge success!

Fuqua in general encourages us to pursue our passions and be a self-starter, and this is resoundingly true when it comes to the HCC. The strong program reputation, giving alumni, and numerous resources throughout Fuqua and broader Duke allow health care-minded students to pursue their interests with no questions asked. This is why I chose Fuqua and is a decision I will never look back on.