Prior Education: Bates College
Hometown: Yarmouth, ME
Why I Chose Fuqua
I chose Fuqua for three reasons: the prestige of the HSM program driven by the depth and breadth of faculty experience, the diversity of the student body, and the student engagement in both academics and extra-curriculars, such as the Health Care Club and experiential learning opportunities in the community.
Prior to Fuqua, I was a management consultant with McKinsey & Company, working in the pharma/biotech space on commercial and digital (data/analytics) strategy topics. The experience grew my passion for improving patient/provider experiences and support systems across the complex health care journey, with an ultimate mission to improve patient outcomes.
Jason on My Favorite HSM Class
I aim to work in a health care product(s) organization that has an established track record yet growth potential in new innovative areas and a proven commitment to improving patient outcomes. I am seeking out a corporate strategy role, wherein I’ll support the long-term success of the company as the technology landscape evolves. My experience in consulting provided me with great baseline experience working at the intersection of data/analytics, customer engagement tactics, and corporate strategy decision making. I wish to apply and grow this experience in a corporation where I can have ownership of long-term impact.
5 Activities You Need To Do
- Enjoy the food – Durham has a rich food scene that has exploded in the past ~10 years. Highly recommend exploring everything from sit down restaurants to the small barbeque shacks scattering the area.
- Take advantage of the social scene – The diversity of the student body provides a range of social events that enable you to build connections with individuals from different backgrounds/interests. Some are school sponsored (e.g., Fuqua Fridays, international/US holiday parties, Fuqua Beer / Wine (& Cocktail) club events, outings on 9th street, etc.
- Explore the trails – There are several parks in the Durham area with great hiking / biking trails to take advantage of. For those looking for a more intense experience, take a couple hour drive to the Appalachian Mountains to the west.
- Visit the breweries – Durham is home to many breweries with great outdoor seating, some even founded by Fuqua alum. It’s a great opportunity to blow off some steam hanging out with friends.
- Travel the state – From great beaches to mountain towns, there is a wide range of attractions to take advantage of in the state; many students enjoy trips to the Outer Banks and Ashville.
The Health Sector Management (HSM) Track
The HSM track’s impact on my life has been three-fold: (1) broadened my knowledge of the health care industry, preparing me to be a more well-rounded health care business leader regardless of the vertical (e.g., devices, pharma); (2) exposed me to a network of leaders & companies across health care verticals, ultimately helping me be more focused in my internship/full-time opportunity search; (3) provided me direct working experience in new areas (clinical setting at Duke Health) via experiential learning opportunities, a rewarding experience that will shape how I think about strategies and a patient-first mission on the product manufacturer side. Regardless of your background, whether a career switcher into health care or a seasoned expert, HSM will offer you the opportunity to broaden your industry knowledge and help prepare you for the next steps in your career.