HSM Student Profile: Lexi McClain (Class of 2021)
Prior Education: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Hometown: Little Rock, AR
Why I Chose Fuqua
Academically, I knew I wanted a strong health care curriculum taught by professors with real world expertise. Socially, I wanted a business school that attracted students from all over the world so I could build relationships with students from totally different backgrounds and experiences. Developmentally, I looked for business schools with a student-run campus so I could have the opportunity to build leadership skills and drive positive change within the program. Fuqua checked all of those boxes and had the benefit of being in North Carolina where it’s warm and sunny!
I was a management consultant in Deloitte’s McLean, VA office in the Strategy & Operations practice. I worked primarily on operational process improvement projects for large academic medical centers. Through this role, I developed a passion for health care and a desire to transform the provider sector to make health care more affordable and sustainable.
Lexi on Connecting with Alumni
My ideal career would be in health care provider operations. I want to combine cutting edge patient care with operational excellence fueled by analytics-driven business decisions, coordinating across all sectors in the health care industry.
5 Activities You Need To Do
- Explore the outdoors in North Carolina: Whether you’re hiking one of the many trails around Eno River, or taking a trip out with Western NC to hike around Ashville or Linville Gorge, there are so many wonderful opportunities to get outside!
- Visit the breweries: Hire Wire and Bull City Ciderworks are two of my favorites, but any of the Durham breweries are an awesome place to hang out with friends and maybe play some games or trivia.
- Embrace your Foodie side: While Durham isn’t NYC when it comes to restaurants, there are a surprising number of great food options in the Triangle area. I particularly love Rose’s Noodles and Dumplings, Hutchin’s Garage (pizza), and Foster’s Market (brunch).
- Play ball: Head to a Durham Bulls game to get a taste of Durham sports with a fun environment and great gameday snacks, without the high ticket prices.
- Experience the Triangle: Head to Chapel Hill for a change of scenery and consider visiting the Morehead Planetarium, Coker Arboretum, or Ackland Art Museum.
The Health Sector Management (HSM) Track
I love working in health care because it gives me the opportunity to improve the lives of others. The US health care system is broken, and Fuqua is training the future leaders of the industry to think critically about solving problems through cross-sector collaboration, technology, and increasing access. I’m confident that the HSM program will prepare me to make a positive impact on the affordability and efficiency of health care in this country.